IT Essentials (ITE v6.0) Chapter 3 Exam Answers 100% 2016 PDF Download**
- When a computer is being assembled, which action can be taken to help eliminate cable clutter within a computer case?
Install a CPU without using a heat sink and fan assembly.
Install a 2.5in HDD instead of a 3.5in HDD.
Install a modular power supply.*
Install a motherboard without using standoffs in the case.
- What is the best way to apply thermal compound when reseating a CPU?
Clean the CPU and the base of the heat sink with isopropyl alcohol before applying the thermal compound.*
Use rubbing alcohol to clean the base of the heat sink before applying thermal compound.
Scrape off the old thermal compound on the heat sink with a sharp knife and apply the thermal compound liberally.
Put a thick layer of thermal compound over the existing thermal compound before reseating the CPU.
Change the base of the heat sink before applying the thermal compound.
- A technician is installing additional memory in a computer. How can the technician guarantee that the memory is correctly aligned?
The label on the memory module should always face the CPU.
A notch in the memory module should be aligned with a notch in the memory slot.*
The arrows on the memory module should be aligned with the arrows on the motherboard slot.
Memory slots are color coded, with one end red and one end blue.
- What is used to prevent the motherboard from touching metal portions of the computer case?
an I/O shield
- Which statement describes the purpose of an I/O connector plate?
It makes the I/O ports of the motherboard available for connection in a variety of computer cases.*
It plugs into the motherboard and expands the number of available slots for adapter cards.
It provides multiple connections for SATA hard drives to connect to the motherboard.
It connects the PCIe adapter slots used for video directly to the CPU for faster processing.
- What are three important considerations when installing a CPU on a motherboard? (Choose three.)
Antistatic precautions are taken.*
The CPU is correctly aligned and placed in the socket.*
The CPU contacts are first cleaned with isopropyl alcohol.
The CPU heat sink and fan assembly are correctly installed.*
The CMOS EPROM battery is removed prior to installing the CPU.
Maximum insertion force is applied to the load lever so the CPU is locked in place.
- Which type of drive is typically installed in a 5.25 inch (13.34 cm) bay?
- Which type of motherboard expansion slot has four types ranging from x1 to x16 with each type having a different length of expansion slot?
- A technician is installing a new high-end video adapter card into an expansion slot on a motherboard. What may be needed to operate this video adapter card?
PCI expansion slot
PCIe x 8 expansion slot
Two 8-pin power connectors*
24-pin ATX power connector
- When assembling a PC, how is pin 1 identified on the front panel cables so that it can be aligned properly with pin 1 on the motherboard panel connector?
by a small arrow or notch*
by a plus sign
by a P1
by a red cable
- A technician has just finished assembling a new computer. When the computer is powered up for the first time, the POST discovers a problem. How does the POST indicate the error?
It issues a number of short beeps.*
The LED on the front of the computer case flashes a number of times.
It places an error message in the BIOS.
It locks the keyboard.
- What is a function of the BIOS?
enables a computer to connect to a network
provides temporary data storage for the CPU
performs a check on all internal components*
provides graphic capabilities for games and applications
- 13. A technician has assembled a new computer and must now configure the BIOS. At which point must a key be pressed to start the BIOS setup program?
before the computer is powered on
during the Windows load process
during the POST*
after the POST, but before Windows starts to load
- What data is stored in the CMOS memory chip?
Windows configuration settings
user login information
- What is the purpose of LoJack?
It allows the owner of a device to remotely locate, lock, or delete all files from the device.*
It ensures that a computer will only boot an operating system that is trusted by the motherboard manufacturer.
It provides passwords for different levels of access to the BIOS.
It encrypts data on hard drives to prevent access without the correct password.
- Which is a BIOS security feature that can prevent data from being read from a hard drive even if the hard drive is moved to another computer?
- What is one purpose of adjusting the clock speed within the BIOS configuration settings?
to allow a computer to run multiple operating systems in files or partitions
to change the order of the bootable partitions
to disable devices that are not needed or used by the computer
to allow the computer to run slower and cooler*
- A technician is assembling a new computer. Which two components are often easier to install before mounting the motherboard in the case? (Choose two.)
- Which two components are commonly replaced when a computer system with a newer motherboard is being upgraded? (Choose two.)
hard disk drive
- A user reports that every morning when a particular computer is turned on, the configuration settings on that computer have to be reset. What action should be taken to remedy this situation?
Replace the motherboard.
Replace the CMOS battery.*
Move the jumpers,
Upgrade the BIOS.
- What are two reasons for installing a second hard disk drive inside an existing computer? (Choose two.)
to support a RAID array*
to store BIOS configuration settings
to store the system swap file*
to increase CPU speed
to allow access to a secondary display output
- When should a technician use unsigned drivers for newly installed computer hardware?
if the unsigned driver is the most current driver available
if the original installation media is not available
if the source of the drivers is trusted by the technician*
if the Windows installation media does not contain a valid signed driver
- What computer component is often required to allow a single computer to use two monitors simultaneously?
an extra power supply
a second video adapter card*
an extra USB connection
a KVM switch
- A technician notices that half of the memory slots on a motherboard are colored differently from the other half. Which technology is probably implemented on this system?